ARIAD Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (ARIA) today announced that it will continue negotiations with the Economic Committee on Health Care Products in France regarding pricing and reimbursement for Iclusig® (ponatinib) into 2016. The Company had previously anticipated reaching agreement by year-end 2015. As a result, ARIAD now expects its global product revenue for Iclusig in 2015 to be $110 million to $115 million, excluding France, compared to our previous guidance of $130 million to $140 million. The Company estimates shipments of Iclusig to patients in France for 2015 to be approximately $9 million, and the cumulative value of shipments through year-end 2015 to be approximately $26 million.
“We are pleased with the continued growth of our business in France as evidenced by increasing product shipments and look forward to successful resolution of price,” stated Marty J. Duvall, executive vice president and chief commercial officer of ARIAD. ”We continue to promote and sell Iclusig in France with the objective of helping patients and driving long-term brand value for key stakeholders.”
ARIAD’s previously stated revenue guidance for 2015 assumed the completion of pricing and reimbursement negotiations in France by year-end. ARIAD will record revenue related to cumulative shipments in France upon completion of pricing and reimbursement negotiations, net of any amounts that will be refunded to the French health authorities as a result of these negotiations, which we now anticipate will be completed in 2016.
About Iclusig® (ponatinib) tablets
Iclusig is a kinase inhibitor. The primary target for Iclusig is BCR-ABL, an abnormal tyrosine kinase that is expressed in chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) and Philadelphia-chromosome positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia (Ph+ ALL). Iclusig was designed using ARIAD’s computational and structure-based drug-design platform specifically to inhibit the activity of BCR-ABL. Iclusig targets not only native BCR-ABL but also its isoforms that carry mutations that confer resistance to treatment, including the T315I mutation, which has been associated with resistance to other approved TKIs.
Iclusig is approved in the U.S., EU, Australia, Switzerland, Israel and Canada.
In the U.S., Iclusig is a kinase inhibitor indicated for the:
- Treatment of adult patients with T315I-positive chronic myeloid leukemia (chronic phase, accelerated phase, or blast phase) or T315I-positive Philadelphia chromosome positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia (Ph+ ALL).
- Treatment of adult patients with chronic phase, accelerated phase, or blast phase chronic myeloid leukemia or Ph+ ALL for whom no other tyrosine kinase inhibitor (TKI) therapy is indicated.
These indications are based upon response rate. There are no trials verifying an improvement in disease-related symptoms or increased survival with Iclusig.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION, INCLUDING THE BOXED WARNING
WARNING: VASCULAR OCCLUSION, HEART FAILURE, and HEPATOTOXICITY
See full prescribing information for complete boxed warning
- Vascular Occlusion: Arterial and venous thrombosis and occlusions have occurred in at least 27% of Iclusig treated patients, including fatal myocardial infarction, stroke, stenosis of large arterial vessels of the brain, severe peripheral vascular disease, and the need for urgent revascularization procedures. Patients with and without cardiovascular risk factors, including patients less than 50 years old, experienced these events. Monitor for evidence of thromboembolism and vascular occlusion. Interrupt or stop Iclusig immediately for vascular occlusion. A benefit risk consideration should guide a decision to restart Iclusig therapy.
- Heart Failure, including fatalities, occurred in 8% of Iclusig-treated patients. Monitor cardiac function. Interrupt or stop Iclusig for new or worsening heart failure.
- Hepatotoxicity, liver failure and death have occurred in Iclusig-treated patients. Monitor hepatic function. Interrupt Iclusig if hepatotoxicity is suspected.
Please see the full U.S. Prescribing Information for Iclusig, including the Boxed Warning, for additional important safety information.
ARIAD Pharmaceuticals, Inc., headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts and Lausanne, Switzerland, is an integrated global oncology company focused on transforming the lives of cancer patients with breakthrough medicines. ARIAD is working on new medicines to advance the treatment of various forms of chronic and acute leukemia, lung cancer and other difficult-to-treat cancers. ARIAD utilizes computational and structural approaches to design small-molecule drugs that overcome resistance to existing cancer medicines. For additional information, visithttp://www.ariad.com or follow ARIAD on Twitter (@ARIADPharm).
This press release contains forward-looking statements, each of which are qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement. Any statements contained herein which do not describe historical facts, including, but not limited to, statements related to the anticipated timing of our discussions regarding pricing and reimbursement in France, our financial guidance, and estimated shipments of Iclusig in France, are forward-looking statements that are based on management’s expectations and are subject to certain factors, risks and uncertainties that may cause actual results, outcome of events, timing and performance to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such statements. These factors, risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to: sales of Iclusig; pricing and reimbursement; the costs associated with our research, development, manufacturing and other activities; the conduct, timing and results of clinical studies of Iclusig and our product candidates; the adequacy of our capital resources and the availability of additional funding; safety issues related to Iclusig and our product candidates; and those additional factors detailed in our public filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, including our most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q. Except as otherwise noted, these forward-looking statements speak only as of the date of this press release and we undertake no obligation to update or revise any of these statements to reflect events or circumstances occurring after this press release. We caution investors not to place considerable reliance on the forward-looking statements contained in this press release.
Maria Cantor, 617-621-2208
Liza Heapes, 617-621-2315